Monday, May 2, 2011

My journey to Chiropractic

I LOVE CHIROPRACTORS! I have yet to run into one that I think is kooky or quacky or whatever the stigma is attached to these amazing people!

I grew up with the mindset that Chiropractors were quacks and always had this mental picture in my head of a loony lookin old man with giant glasses forcefully tweaking someones body in horrible positions. Well that silly idea sure changed when I met my husband's chiropractor!

Right after my husband and I were married, my husband tweaked his back (sciatic nerve) while racing with his groomsmen on the golf course at our reception. He tweaked it so badly that he spent our honeymoon in tremendous amounts of pain and constantly complaining of "his mushrooms" I have no idea where he got that term for his lower back- it came about while he was sleep talking and has been a joke between us for 3 years now.

Anyways, back on point- My husband's mother kinda pushed us to go to the Chiropractor...of course I was resistant but my husband was set on going. We walked in and the girls behind the counter did some xrays and a thermal heat scan on his back and then in walks Dr. H, young handsome, full of life, educated Doctor H! That was surprise number 1. Surprise 2 was when Dr. H had my husband stand next to the adjustment table and then lowered him to a flat position face down. Dr. H pulled out a miniature pogo stick and went to town on my DH's back! He just went up and down his spine and out across his hips 'thumping' him...I think I was laughing at this point almost expecting this to be a joke! Except joke was on me, because after spending my first two weeks of married life with my limping husband..I watched him walk out of there like nothing had happened. WOW. I kinda put this experience to the back of my mind until five months after my DD was born.

When Clare was five months old she stopped going to the bathroom (specifically number 2) for about 5 days...my pedi told me this was normal, ehh but my gut told me otherwise- she wasnt acting like my normal, happy, loving little girl; she wasnt horrible, just obviously uncomfortable. Josh's mother again mentioned the Chiropractor and Josh convinced me to try it out for myself and Clare, My MIL also recommended I go for my constant sleeping problems. I have always had a hard time going to sleep at night and that had only gotten magnified since getting up every couple hours with a baby. So we took Clare to see Dr. H and within 10 minutes of her thumper adjustment...well...we went through 2 diapers on the way home and Clare slept through the night for the first time that night and for about three weeks after that, until she seemed to need another adjustment at which point I jumped at the opportunity to take her, this time we let her play in the waiting room after the adjustment so we didnt have to deal with disastrous dipes in the car...without fail- she went through a dipe and outfit in Dr. H's office about 5 or 10 minutes after the adjustment.

My experience- The same day Clare was adjusted, I received Xrays and a thermal scan which showed lots of heat (pain) up and down my back...amazing how the body adapts and compensates for pain. Dr. H adjusted me and yes I was sore the next day but that night I slept sooo great! I personally have experienced multiple times having headaches or colds or ear pain and going to the chiropractor each time has eliminated this problem!

Now each time my kids have gotten stopped up or sick or just aren't sleeping, all it takes is a Chiropractic adjustment. I took Nevan for his first adjustment when he was 4 days old and poor baby had a twist in his lower back that was definitely causing him pain. I have found that if I take my kids to Dr. H when they get sick for an adjustment and then give them Vitamin C, D3 and Pro-biotics...the sickness is gone within three days always. I have learned the importance of a fever from my Chiropractor- here is a great article for ya: http://drtenpenny.com/fever.aspx

My favorite Chiropractic story though is this one. My Sister in Law is currently enrolled in her 5th (of 10) trimester. She comes home and tells us about various techniques she knows and she recommended I get my hands adjusted...here is the story behind my hands.
When I was in fifth grade, I ran into a wall playing a game of 'butts up' and injured one of my wrists...I wore a brace for a while but that was about the extent of it. When playing volleyball, I started experiencing horrible pain in my wrists, to the point where I couldnt wear bracelets, watches or even a hair tie on my wrists. I would have to sleep with my hands a certain way or else my wrists would hurt the next day. My Momma took me to the doc and they basically told me I would have to get a dye test and most likely get surgery...we sorta ignored it and I just stopped Volleyball. I suffered for five years following that with wrist pain...I couldnt do push ups, couldnt wear jewelry and would oftentimes just deal with the pain. I had my hands adjusted in November of 2010, which worried me in itself but I havent had ANY pain in my wrists since then! NONE! To think I went 7 plus years with this pain...I adapted to it, never the less it was always there and one adjustment took care of it completely!

Anyways-I ALWAYS go to my Chiropractor first before going to a doctor and so far...its worked!

No comments:

Post a Comment