Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Getting better...naturally


Alright here is my post on natural remedies that have worked WONDERS for my family.

Here are the things you will find in my medicine cabinet:
Vitamin D3
Vitamin C
Vitamin A
Pro-Biotics (refrigerated section)
Coconut Oil
Coconut Water (refrigerated section)
Zinc
Elderberry Syrup
Gripe water
Sovereign Silver
Essential Oils; Lavender, Lemon, Eucalyptus, Peppermint, Tea tree oil, Thieves
Cloves
Pure/Raw Local Organic Honey
Grapeseed Extract
Pain a Trate
Epsom Salt
Garlic oil (refrigerated)
White Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar

Alright- things you will NEVER find in my cabinet:
Tylenol/IBprofen (my DH smuggles it in every once in a while)
Orajel or Anbesol (spelling?)
Thermometer
Any other meds you can think of...

My first and favorite remedy is D3. I am amazed at this Vitamin, we personally use Carlson's brand from the HFS (Health Food Store), however I have been researching Swanson's vitamins and I am thinking of switching to those. I give my children 35ius ppobw (perpoundofbodyweight) every day that they are not outside in the sun. I give them 1000iusppobw anytime they are sick for 3-5 days depending on if their symptoms are going away or getting worse. These recommendations are from the Vitamin D Council. I notice EVERYTIME I give them D that their illnesses usually last about 3 days (previous to my health food kick...when I used mainstream meds...it would take at least 5). If I know my kids are going to be around someone sick in the family, I automatically give them an upped dose (1000ius ppobw) that morning. If I see them starting to sneeze or acting sick I give them an upped dose and it kicks it.

I give my children Vitamin C to bowel tolerance when they are sick otherwise I just give them the recommended dose of C daily that is recommended on the bottle.

I actually have yet to give my children A, but have heard it is wonderful when a child has a virus (or an adult).

I give my kid pro-biotics almost every day and double the dose when they are ill...this is amazing when they have bugs in their tummys. I personally use Solar ray brand from the HFS - its about 23 dollars and lasts me three months.

I use elderberry syrup to help sooth throats and chest colds

I use essential oils on my children all the time-I follow the 'Less is MORE' rule and usually put between 3-5 drops in a T of Coconut oil - except I do put Lavender directly on cuts and burns without dilution.
Lavender- just about everything under the sun...I put it on cuts, scrapes, burns, on their feet to calm them
Eucalyptus- I mix with Lavender and dilute and rub on feet and chests when they are sniffly
Lemon- I have and put in food to flavor
Peppermint- directly on temples for a headache and a drop in the belly button to bring down fevers (although that is only in dire circumstances...since I let fevers burn typically)
Thieves- is a blend from Young Living (super expensive company) that I use sparingly on mykids for immuno support sometimes.

I use Honey to get vitamins down my kids, I typically do not buy the children's versions of vitamins because they are overpriced and can have lots of additives. I buy capsules of everything and give my children the contents in honey.
I also use honey to soothe throats and to build up a resistance to local pollen which causes horrible allergies in some people (doesnt seem to affect my kids)
Grapeseed Extract (capsule form)- is AMAZING stuff..I give it for the sniffles and for any swelling. WONDERFUL.
Epsom salts - I use in the bath to draw out toxins from the various cuts my kiddos get every day in teh back yard.
PainaTrate (The Wellness Company) I get this...its basically the natural version of Bengay...it works great- but I dont really recommend the company so much anymore.

Garlic Oil- I make my own, I boil Garlic for about 10 minutes in Olive oil and then store it in a mason jar in my fridge- I put it in my childrens ears when they are bothering them and have used it for the ONE time they got ear infections- their ear pain was GONE in less than 2 minutes.

White Vinegar (cheap walmart brand) I put some in the bathtub with my kiddos every other night or so (about 1-2 cups)...this is the quickest healer I have found for any rashes or infections on them or in their privates. I also use White Vinegar mixed with some Lavender in a cleaning bottle to clean my counters and floors.

Apple Cider Vinegar - I put about a cup in a gallon of sweet raspberry or apple tea and then give it to my kids to drink...they LOVE it. I also put it in Apple juice...I am still learning about Apple Cider Vinegar but I sure like what I have learned so far and I will blog just about Apple Cider Vinegar in itself later.

Cloves: I boil cloves in water and rub it on teething gums..works pretty good!

Sovereign Silver- I use for immune support- I give them one recommended dose when they are ill. I put it on pimples and cuts and skin irritations...works great!

Coconut Oil- I use for thrush, yeast infections, diaper cream, I give my kids tablespoons to eat whenever it is out...it is a common remedy in our house.

Ask me about any of the above specifically...I can think of quite of few more but the above ones are my favorite!

God Bless!
Mandy

2 comments:

  1. This is a great post!!!! I've been learning about a lot of natural remedies for things now too. I am happy to say my kids have not needed a trip to the pediatrician (except for a regular yearly health physical---no vaccines of course) in over 6 months. I treat everything at home and find that I LOVE the home remedies and I do not stress over home remedies like I used to stress over the side effects of medications.
    Another great product for diaper rash we have found is Sesame Oil. My son has had issues with diaper rash and putting a little sesame oil on at diaper changes, he has not had a diaper rash since we started doing this three months ago. I saw you use coconut oil as diaper cream and I am going to have to try that. We use coconut oil for my youngest son's eczema. Its the only thing that has ever worked and we have tried every moisturizer on the market. Boy was I surprised with how well coconut oil worked! Plus, no chemicals like the moisturizers and products on the market.
    We LOVE apples cider vinegar---it works great as a natural hair conditioner too.
    We make all our own shampoo, body wash, hand soap,laundry detergent, and cleaning products now too. Its super easy, super cheap, and so much better to know we aren't putting those chemicals in or on our bodies anymore.
    Thanks again for sharing this. I learned a lot of new things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dottie,
    Thanks for commenting :)

    I have NEVER heard of Sesame Oil- I will remember that one.

    Coconut oil is always my go to for just about everything.

    The nice thing about going 'natural' is you really can't go to wrong with it...where as with medical things and mainstream remedies..you have to be careful how often and where you use them...where as with natural - they are interchangeable :)

    ReplyDelete